"Peace comes from within. Do not seek it without. – Buddha"
Most of us seek a miracle cure for our ills. There are a lot of "Superfoods" in the shelves of the supermarkets today which claim eternal health. But why look at the supermarket, when you can find them in your own kitchen??
Here's a list of some natural superfoods:
1. Yogurt- Forget that prebiotic drink. Home made dahi/curd is a good source of pro & prebiotics which protects the gut and helps the immune system. It provides with a rich source of calcium, protein and is easily to digest.
2. Sprouted grains- Give your kids these grains for increasing protein in their diet. It provides easy to digest proteins (as it has active plant enzymes), micronutrients and fiber. Not to mention that you need variety for kids to eat well. They can be sun-dried and pounded to make baby food too!
3. Seasonal Fruits- Apart from giving us the taste of the season they enrich us with essential vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
4. Nuts- These are rich source of the "good" fats and also rich in micronutrients. A variety of Indian dishes incorporate these, especially in winters. Oilseeds like white Nigella seeds ( safed til)are also a rich source of minerals.
5. Spices and Condiments- Though they can't be classified as 'Food'; they are an integral part of our cooked recipes. Their benefits have been proven eg. Haldi/Turmeric is a household antibiotic and Danamethi/Fenugreek seeds helps in regulating blood sugar.